Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Volunteering

I love volunteering.  I think it is a great way to feel like you're making a difference in the world.  Hopefully you are actually helping someone with your time, talent or treasure.  I had been volunteering with a local battered women's shelter last year.  I stopped because some things came up.  Now that I should be able to start again, I wonder if I should.  Did I get anything out of it?  Yes, I helped with Spiritual Time. This means that I have a few bible verses ready to go.  This forces me to take some time with my daily devotional.  I also should be starting a bible study soon.  So I can use some of that inspiration.  However, I feel a bit odd telling these women about finding God as a source of comfort.  Not that I don't think that God and Jesus can provide comfort.  I do.  I just feel a bit insincere.  While there are parts of my history that are filled with stress, emotional abuse and some physical violence.  It is nothing like what these ladies have normally gone through.   May God guide me as to the best place to use my time and talents.

I would actually like to get more involved in my church.  Is it selfish to want to find more friends through that outlet?

So  a general list of the activities that I hope to be involved with this year:
1) Bible Study - Monday nights - Feb - April/May
2) Working out - Tues and Thursday mornings, Wed, Sat and Sun.
3) Gardening
4) Photography
5) Volunteering at Battered Women's Shelter - 2 Thursdays a Month
6) Cooking better for myself and family
7) Women Attorney's meeting - One lunch meeting a Month - more work Feb and December (special events)
8) Junior League - One General meeting a month, one committee meeting a month.
9) Chamber of Commerce - One meeting a month.

A few of these are mostly for career purposes (Chamber and Women Attorney's).  I should probably keep those.  Faith and Health are so important, so I need to keep Bible Study, Working Out, and Cooking Better. Hobbies help me enjoy life and the world around me.

The one thing I can do is not add to this list.  I was hoping to add working with a "Girls on the Run" non-profit to help young girls with running for health and self-esteem issues.  I was also hoping to spend time with my church group that visits th elderly that are home bound.  Can I do it all?  No.  I'll have to make some choices.

One thing I might take a step back in is Junior League.  This year I have a leadership position that has not given me much joy.  I think I will not self-submit for a leadership position this year.  I definitely will not double place.  This year I am technically on a second committee, but I have not done a lot there.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like!