Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Home Improvement by Angela!


When we moved into our house in July of 2009 I knew that brushed nickel handles would really class up the kitchen.  I think it makes a space seem more substantial and of better quality.  Hubbs then purchased some lovely handles...that have been sitting and waiting to be put on.  To be fair, we have been involved in an extensive basement renovation since we moved in.  The basement went from cement nothingness to a large family room, bedroom, full bath with jacuzzi tub and work out room!  Hubbs tiled it all.

For my early Valentine's Day present, Hubbs agreed to put on the handles!

Before



After


How to:

We followed the advice from HGTV.  We made a template with cardboard.  For the side opening cuboards I cut out a piece that corresponded with the width of the side.  I then drew the outline of the two ends of the handles where they would connect.  I measured to be sure this was in the center of the area.  

For the drawers I drew a center line.  This way we could use the template for any width of drawers.  I then measured to find the middle of the drawers.  

I turned the handle to the side and marked where the hole should be.  I then cut a hole with scissors.  I then attached the handle to the cardboard to be sure it was in the middle and looked good.  Then I took the template and penciled in the holes where the screw should go.  I then measured to be sure the holes were in the middle of the area/drawer.  On the drawers you should first measure to find the middle.  Then place template.



Lessons learned:  make sure to use the straight edge of the cardboard.  It would also help to use a strong cardboard or other material that will not give.  By the end of the process the sides were a bit mushy and the corners were not as strong.  

It was hard work on the drawers and cabinets that were extra thick!  Hubbs had to first make a wider hole through the first layer of wood.  Then the smallest bit to the outside of the cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like!