Monday, February 14, 2011

Self-Control

My husband was listening to NPR on his way down to Texas for work.  We always listen to NPR in the morning.  He told me to make sure to  listen to a story about self-control.  The story focused on a new study coming out.  It shows that children that have no self-control have issues later in life.  They are more likely to have jail time, bankruptcy, or be single parents.  I can definitely see this in my own family.

My parents were divorced when I was three.  My mom remarried when I was five.  My step-dad later adopted me and is now my dad.  So I have two.  My adopted dad has problems with self control.  My little sister that is from my mom and adopted dad also has self control issues. She certainly has had a harder time even finishing high school.  She wants to be out experiencing the world, and it is hard for her to delay these exciting plans for something as boring as a high school diploma.

Although I was able to be patient through several levels of higher education, I do suffer from the inability to delay gratification.  For example, my husband bought me a camera.  A really nice camera that I am excited to use.  I love taking pictures.  I know I will use it all the time.  My husband is a very patient man.  He is also very frugal and is good at making decisions that will be best for us later in life.  He is good at saving.  So he decided to have my camera sent to Nebraska, where his sister lives, instead of to us.  Apparently Sony does not have a distribution site in Nebraska.  I was INCENSED! Why would he do this to me! Is he trying to teach me a lesson! No, he just didn't realize that it was SOO important to me to get started immediately on my new hobby.  You must keep in mind, I am a hobby maven.  I love hobbies.  I have learned how to play golf, the violin and kit within the last year or two.  Honestly I do hope to get back to knitting and the violin.  But I somehow hope to add photography and camping to the list.   So I can understand why he expected that I would have other things to keep me busy until the end of March when we make it to Nebraska.

This study NPR mentioned found that it was very important for parents to teach their children delayed gratification.  This teaches them self-control!  I was able to convince myself getting this camera later is not a big deal.  I have been listening to  Bob Marley a lot lately.  The song "Three Little Birds" - reminds me "Don't Worry, about a thing! Every little thing is gonna be alright!"  I know my husband is a generous and lovely man.  I do not need to both myself with the fact I don't have my camera now.  I have much organization to worry about in the mean time! A place for everything and everything in it's place!

This story from the New Yorker explains similar topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like!